Are you in love with potato skins?
Wouldn’t it be great to enjoy one of your favorite appetizers without the added fat and calories but with the nutritional benefits of a sweet potato, lean turkey and chopped peppers?
You are going to love Momshells Skinny Stuffed Sweet Potato!
The fiber content in sweet potatoes is higher than that of common potatoes and they taste amazing!
Sweet potato’s are also high in Vitamin C, D and A and other antioxidants.
I have made this recipe super simple to prepare with lots of lean protein and zesty peppers with a skinny, creamy taco dip topping!
Skinny Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey 97% lean
- 1 packet McCormick low sodium taco seasoning
- 4 medium sweet potatos
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 green pepper, chopped into strips
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped into strips
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup 2% Kraft shredded cheese
- Cook lean ground turkey in a skillet with ¾ packet of taco seasoning. Set aside 4 oz cooked turkey for this recipe.
- Cook chopped peppers and onions in a small skillet with a tsp of taco seasoning.
- Poke holes in sweet potatos and microwave each for 8 minutes on high.
- Remove and slice sweet potatos lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out most of the guts of the sweet potatos, leaving a small amount around the perimeter of the skin to make the sides of the sweet potato stand up like a bowl (weight 4 oz). Discard the scooped out sweet potato- feed to your family or save for another meal
- Mix Greek yogurt and remaining taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Stuff the sweet potato shell with 3 oz turkey, 1/4 of the veggies and top with salsa, 2 tbsp Greek yogurt topping and 1/4 cup cheese and enjoy!